Sunday, June 12, 2005

Why choose Mongolia?

The simple answer is sort of clich�, but it fits: Mongolia chose me.

In a way, it's true. In other ways, it's not.

I first heard about the program from a friend. At the time I was most interested in the Switzerland or Belgium programs so I could work on my French. Then I was told I had to live with a host family and no visitation from friends or family would be allowed. Then I was told that I would have to go through an oral interview in French. Then I was told about the programs in aboriginal Australia (which perked my interest in going somewhere remote). Then I was told about the new Mongolia internship at a TV station. At this time (November 2004) I was sure about two things: next summer I would be living/working outside of the country, and after college I would apply for the Peace Corps. The Peace Corps has an extensive program in Mongolia, so I thought it would be my "foot in the door" if I spent a summer there. So I queried the program coordinator about the Mongolia program, and he replied as if I'd already got the job. So from there, it was simply a matter of going through the paperwork. As I read volumes of articles and books, scrolled through hundreds of online photos, Mongolia both amazed me and repulsed me.

It was only after getting a thumbs up from my advisor on campus (reminding me that I'm young and now is the time to do crazy things like this) that I felt good about the whole thing.

Here's one more thing (and why I chose this particular program): I'll be inserted and integrated into another culture's way of life. Other programs are run more like summer camp, where you find yourself in isolated "American" fun lands in the middle of a foreign country. Contact with foreigners outside of the tourist trade is minimal. You'll be working alongside other imported crewmembers. In this internship, the only American faces I will see are those who made the epic journey to get to Mongolia (by air, by train, by tour guide, whatever) and only in a passing glance, or perhaps a half-hour conversation in the local expat caf� (called Millie's).

Why not Mongolia? The future of American foreign policy will shift towards the Pacific Rim (esp. China, N. Korea, Taiwan) in the coming decade. Why not figure out this whole Communistic-Asian-Hedgemony thing before the next war breaks loose?

Peace.

No comments: